Donation GuidelinesTo print PDF ...
Donating books is a great way to support the Library. We are grateful for most donated books, however, the Library reserves the right to decide what to do with donations. We may decide to: add them to the collection; put them in the Friends of the Library book sale; discard them; or donate them to another library or organization. Please note the donation guidelines below.
What we accept:
- Audio books
- Vinyl records
- Monthly magazines
- Textbooks (less than 2 years old)
- Donations should be gently used, clean and in good condition.
We cannot accept:
- Books that are dirty, moldy, water damaged or contain excessive writing or highlighting. As a general rule: if you would not purchase it in its current condition, please do not donate it.
- Weekly magazines
- Textbooks (published more than 2 years ago)
- More than 5 copies of any one title because of space limitations.
- Homemade copies of any type of media or commercial software that is not packaged with a book for legal reasons.
Donations are accepted at the Orlando Public Library Main Location loading dock on Wall Street and staff can assist you Monday through Friday, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Donations are accepted at each of our 15 branch locations Monday through Friday, between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Due to space limitations the branches can only accept up to two medium-sized boxes (approximately 13″x12″x15″) of donations during specified hours. If you need a receipt for tax purposes, the library will provide one. We cannot, however, assign a dollar value to your donation.
As an alternative for donated items we do not accept, many thrift stores and used book stores accept books and other materials as donations. Better World Books has several collection boxes for books in the area and donations made in Orange County will benefit the library. If you are unable to drop off your donation consider donating to the Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) as they offer pickup services in many areas.
For more information or questions regarding donations:
Contact the Friends of the Library Book Store at 407-835-7496.